Metropolitan hospital's Emergency Department re-established and operating 24/7 within 3 weeks
Re-establishment of Caboolture Hospital's Emergency Department
Caboolture is a large metropolitan suburb approximately 45 minutes north of Brisbane, the capital of the Australian state of Queensland.
Caboolture Hospital is managed by Queensland Health, a State Government health body that delivers a range of public services to the people of Queensland including hospital in-patient, out-patient and emergency services, community and mental health services, aged care services, public health and health promotion programs throughout the State.
In 2006 Caboolture Hospital’s Emergency Department (ED) was downgraded and the majority of its ED staff consolidated to the Redcliffe Hospital Emergency Department 28km away. Following this decision, community pressure dictated that the Caboolture Hospital ED be reopened as soon as possible.
Aspen Medical was contracted by Queensland Health to re-establish the capability and capacity of the ED at Caboolture Hospital. Our team was required to extend Caboolture Hospital ED’s operating hours from 8am to 11pm daily and then to a 24-hour operation within three (3) weeks of signing the contract. We were also contracted to undertake a complete review of the Caboolture Hospital Emergency Department and associated hospital functions.
Upon completion of the project our expert team had facilitated significant outcomes for the ED including:
- The capacity to provide services 24/7
- The recruitment of a full team of medical staff
- Training had recommenced with the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM)
- A complete redesign and redevelopment of the ED (including all facility upgrades and equipment changeovers)
- The service was transitioned back to Queensland Health management with all staff retained and appointment conditions recognised
- Highly sensitive political environment
- Intensive public and political focus on outcomes
- Maintain the highest levels of patient care throughout the re-establishment and transition